Waterford Public Library Key Dates


May 22, 1923 Incorporation meeting.
March, 1924 Saunders carriage house library set up.
September 1924 First town appropriation to Waterford Public Library.
Nov. 28, 1927 Gift of new building by Mrs. Edward C. Hammond.
Sept. 8, 1928 Formal opening of new library building.
September 1930 Gilead Fund of $250 established by Gilead Community Club.
July, 1931 Endowment Fund established with gift of Edward S. Harkness.
November 1931 WPL hires first paid worker, Miss Ida M. Harwood.
April 1958 WPL hires first full-time professional, Mrs. Miriam B. Bantz.
December 1959 Nelson White arranges purchase of Bingham-Gregor property.
March 14, 1961 WPL moves to rented quarters (old post office).
August 7, 1961 Library Board gives old building to Town.
1964 WPL qualifies for federal grant.
Feb. 25, 1966 New Library building is opened!
April 14, 1967 Library Board turns land, building, books & furnishings over to the Town, while retaining its role as a governing board.
June 1973 RTM approves funds for addition.
October 16 1977 Formal opening of expanded Library.
January 1979 Library circulates first book on automated system.
May 20, 1980 Mrs. L. Edmund Zacher is recognized as “Outstanding Trustee
April 6, 1986 New mezzanine is completed & dedicated.
August 1987 Trustee John Merrill is honored as Waterford’s “Citizen of the Year.”
June 16, 1994 Transition from card catalog to automated catalog is completed.
Spring 1997 Library introduces Internet access to the public.
August 1997 Trustee Fred Brucoli is honored as Waterford’s “Citizen of the Year.”
November 2001 Library Board launches Fund Drive to help support book purchases.